Sunday, October 15, 2006

Affirmation

A good essay here on cancelling the daily paper:

After 37 years of subscribing to the daily newspaper, I wrote "cancel" on the last bill and sent it back.

Since I've been subscribing for nearly four decades, it's obvious I am not a member of the young demographic that newspapers haven't been able to attract. Print journalism is a) low tech and b) costs money. Neither is appealing to young people who grew up with the Internet and can customize their information intake and get it without a subscription fee. I'm in the age group that is still reading a daily newspaper out of long habit.

The points she makes are very similar to those I posted when I cancelled my subscription last year. The continuing collapse of newspaper circulation, as I noted in my post, presents serious concerns to trade marketers.

No comments: