Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Is Marshall Fields rising from the dead?

This may not be a big deal where you are, but here in Chicago it's a major issue -- especially with my daughter, who is among the people mentioned in the article considering a boycott.

Federated Department Stores, after announcing that they were going to kill the venerated Marshall Fields name, is apparently having second thoughts, and they are considering ways to keep the name alive -- perhaps leaving it on the State Street store (which does $250 million a year in sales, and thus is large enough to be its own operation).

Most of what is mentioned in the article (e.g., having a Fields boutique within the store) would, I think, be meaningless tokenism that would do little to mollify Chicagoans. I don't think Federated's management has figured out yet how much they've alienated a major market.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tramadol online taking tramadol high blood pressure - good site buy tramadol

Anonymous said...

My coder is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.
I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using Movable-type on
several websites for about a year and am concerned about
switching to another platform. I have heard good things about blogengine.
net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content
into it? Any help would be really appreciated!

my web-site ... fat loss