Sunday, March 11, 2007

I nailed it!

Okay, I didn't nail it exactly, but I was close.

Over a year ago, in this post, I speculated that Wal-Mart could carry their private labeling of music to the point of establishing their own record label:
The question is, could Wal-Mart apply the concept of private label to music -- could they, in short, become a label themselves? And the answer is -- you bet they could! In fact, some estimates are that, in country music at least, Wal-Mart accounts for 50% of sales.
I nailed the concept, but I had the wrong party. According to this article, Starbucks has decided to establish their own record label:
Having already proven that it can sell other companies' music, coffee giant Starbucks is planning to launch its own record label and is close to a deal for the next album from former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney to be its first release, according to sources familiar with the plans.

The formation of Starbucks Records, as the unit is expected to be called, could be announced as soon as this week, according to these sources.

So who's next? I still think Wal-Mart, with their 50% market share of country, but Target and Best Buy seem like good options as well. The times they are a-changin'.

No comments: