Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Gift cards are #1

According to an annual survey by Deloitte, gift cards will be the most popular (or at least the most-given) gift this Christmas season. At first I was surprised when I read this, but after a moment's reflection, it made a lot of sense. From a marketers' standpoint it seems that the importance of this is that it means that the last week of December is no longer strictly for clearance sales -- it may be when a substantial portion of your holiday sales are actually completed.

It's also interesting that there was a confirmation of something mentioned below in the post about the purchase of Saks' northern department stores by Bon-Ton. Deloitte says that in 1985 department stores were the main shopping venue for 67% of consumers -- today that's down to 13%. Even for me (and I've been a department store basher ever since I worked in the channel 30+ years ago), it was shocking to see how total their collapse has been.

No comments: